By Mette Hjort, Ursula Lindqvist
A spouse to Nordic Cinema provides a set of unique essays that discover one of many world’s oldest local cinemas from its origins to the current day.
- Offers a accomplished, transnational and nearby account of Nordic cinema from its origins to the current day
- Features unique contributions from greater than dozen foreign movie students established within the Nordic nations, the U.S., Canada, Scotland, and Hong Kong
- Covers a variety of subject matters at the certain evolution of Nordic cinema together with the silent Golden Age, Nordic movie coverage versions and their impact, audiences and cinephilia, Nordic movie education, and indigenous Sámi cinema.
- Considers Nordic cinema’s engagement with worldwide audiences via assurance of such subject matters as Dogme ninety five, the avant-garde filmmaking circulate began via Danish administrators Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg, and the worldwide advertising and marketing and distribution of Nordic horror and Nordic noir
- Offers clean investigations of the paintings of worldwide auteurs reminiscent of Carl Th. Dreyer, Ingmar Bergman, Lars von Trier, Aki Kaurismäki, and Roy Andersson.
- Includes essays on Danish and Swedish tv dramas, Finland’s eco-documentary movie construction, the rising culture of Icelandic cinema, the altering dynamics of Scandinavian porn, and lots of more
Read or Download A Companion to Nordic Cinema PDF
Similar film & television books
`Part of the buzz of study during this domain,' wrote Michael Cronin, `is that a lot is still performed by way of uncovering the illustration of translation in international cinema. ' Cronin crammed his ebook with that pleasure. He selected movie as instance and results of translation thought and illustrates vital thoughts inside of that context.
Silent movie and the Triumph of the yank fantasy connects the increase of movie and the increase of the United States as a cultural heart and twentieth-century global energy. Silent movie, Paula Cohen unearths, allowed the United States to sever its literary and linguistic ties to Europe and solution the decision by way of nineteenth-century writers like Emerson, Thoreau and Whitman for an unique kind of expression suitable with American strengths and weaknesses.
The 1st accomplished heritage of India’s movie undefined, one who now competitors Hollywood. Hollywood may possibly outline our proposal of films however it is the town of Bombay at the west coast of India that's now the guts of global cinema. each year the Indian movie produces greater than a 1,000 characteristic motion pictures, on a daily basis fourteen million Indians visit a film and, 1000000000 extra humans a yr purchase tickets for Indian videos than for Hollywood ones.
- Popular Cinema as Political Theory: Idealism and Realism in Epics, Noirs, and Satires
- Beyond Sitcom: New Directions in American Television Comedy
- Screening Politics; The Politician in American Movies, 1931-2001
- The Emergence of Film Culture: Knowledge Production, Institution Building, and the Fate of the Avant-garde in Europe, 1919-1945
- Narrative Comprehension and Film (Sightlines)
Additional resources for A Companion to Nordic Cinema
Regional and Global Dimensions of Danish Film Culture and Film Policy 31 In 2009, the then chief financial director of Zentropa explained the transna tional strategy of the company as follows: We want to conquer the world in our own quiet way. With timely care and com mon sense. It costs a lot of money to set up operations in every country. It’s our plan, within three or five years, to be fully represented with operating companies in the old Western Europe. And it’s not unlikely either, that we will be making films in the US within a similar time frame … To comply with national and inter national regulations for receiving subsidies, we have been keeping offices in several countries.
Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. DFI. 2010a. Dansk Film. En styrkeposition for den globale markedsføring af Danmark. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. DFI. 2010b. Sæt filmen fri. Oplæg til filmaftale 2011‐2014. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. DFI. 2011. Filmaftalen 2011–2014. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014. aspx European Commission. 2011. Creative Europe. A New Framework Programme for the Cultural and Creative Sector.
Lov nr. 186 af 12. Marts 1997. ” Accessed December 30, 2014. dk/english/Services/Legislation/Film/The‐Film‐Act/. DFI. 1999. Det Danske Filminstitut. En institution og et hus for levende billeder. Handlingsplan 1999–2002. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. DFI. 1999a. Resultatkontrakt 1999–2002. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014. aspx. DFI. 2003. Handlingsplan 2003–2006. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014. aspx. DFI. 2006. Nye mål: udfordringer og perspektiver for dansk film 2007–2010.